Westworld And Stranger Things Lead 2017 Emmys
Rather unsurprising for fans of either show, HBO’s Westworld and Netflix’s Stranger Things are currently leading the Emmy nominations for this year. Westworld is sitting at 22 nominations, including Outstanding Drama Series in all four categories:
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Anthony Hopkins (as Dr. Robert Ford)
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Evan Rachel Wood (as Dolores Abernathy)
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Jeffrey Wright (as Bernard Lowe)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Thandie Newton (as Maeve Millay)
Again, with Westworld‘s concept and amazing cast, it felt like a given that the show would at least be nominated. Hopefully we’ll see it win too. I mean, with Anthony Hopkins on their team, anything is possible. Hopkins has captured audiences around the world with his talent, to say the least.
On the other side we’ve got Stranger Things, the surprise hit from Netflix’s originals. The show has 18 nominations in a variety of categories, including:
- Best Supporting Actor: David Harbour (as Jim Hopper)
- Best Supporting Actress: Millie Bobby Brown (as Eleven)
- Outstanding Guest Actress: Shannon Purser (as Barb)
Stranger Things and Westworld were not the only ones to receive nominations, however, as other favorites like The Handmaid’s Tale at a much deserved 13 nominations (a show based on Canadian author Margaret Atwood’s book of the same name), This is Us with 11 nominations (be sure to bring a box of tissues with this one, Sense 8 fans might like this one too), and even Atlanta at 6 nominations. If you’re interested in the full list, look out for the Polygon link below.
Though if you’re less interested in reading about the nominations and want to watch them instead, the Emmy Awards will be on CBS at Sunday, September 17, 5pm PT with the one and only Stephen Colbert hosting.
Which show do you hope wins the most awards? Let us know in the comments below!